I decided I would build a new VM. I could not get the old VM to bring up a display. Since I need the GUI I thought it best to update the VM to a 64bit system. The old VM had been upgraded at least once and was getting long in the tooth. At one point it ran out of fileIDs because of all the upgraded kernels. I had to remove some of them manually and I think that may have caused long term problems. Now I just have to remember to run periodic purge of the old kernels.
I completed the Modern Electronics course by watching the last three lectures today.
I also took some time today to assemble a 3D metal model of an F4U Corsair fighter plane.