I started drawing the character in the lower right and it turned out a little freaky.
I followed a few more lectures from the Udemy Blender Course. Using the generic base we created a pawn. Because this course has a focus for game development we then took the generic high polygon base and changed it to a low poly count. We then created a low poly pawn. Using that pawn we created the bishop piece. We used the boolean modifier to gouge out a notch in the bishop.
I watched lecture nine of the Change and Motion Great Course.
I started reading two books. The Hardware Hacker by Andrew “bunnie” Haung and Mitch Byrd’s Notes to Draw From.