Blender Day

I spent a good part of the day working on the Elf. It turns out that I had way too many vertices too do the weight painting. Weight painting is where you assign what vertices are controlled by a given bone of the armature. Each time I clicked on a bone it would take several minutes and peg my processor. I decided to abort that and found that I could run a routine to reduce the number of vertices. I ran that a few times and got to about 10 percent and then the respond time for clicking a bone was down to under a minute. I was able to weight paint and then I had to paint the texture a few times once I got the UV unmapping to work so that I did not have overlapping vertices. I learned quite a lot today. I then had to figure out how to get the painted texture to actually show up in the render.

Here is an example of the painted model with the armature.

model with armature

Some time during the day I also picked up a new spring and cable so I could fix my garage door.